Tuesday, June 6, 2023

Phil & I: a chat from Hyde Park, Massachusetts in 2008 or so


I'm publishing my chats with some folks in Nigeria while I was in Boston, Massachusetts. I'm doing this to correct any assumptions that could have led to misinformation or miseducation about me or my relationships with people. For the most part, I'm straightforward but some things not spelt out would have been read in the wrong way. Unfortunately, I didn't save the dates for those chats but I'll look them up. Philomena Ngozi Nwoko was a woman I met in Ibadan while we both studied at the University. She was a total stranger to me and if I was known to her before the University she never let on for all the 2 or so years of our acquaintanceship at UI.  She was studying for a bachelor’s degree in Classics while I was studying for a bachelor’s degree in Igbo. We both graduated in 2004. I got a 2:1 and she got a 2:2. ‘Urisbest’ was my Yahoo mail from 2001 and her email was ‘dangozphil.’ She also has a gmail account by the same name, while my gmail is ‘ijenjoku.’

urisbest: Hello, nwanne how far?

dangozphil: long time!

dangozphil: Nwanne!

dangozphil: how you dey now?

urisbest: My dear, it feels like forever!!!!!! did you receive the email I sent to your gmail address? I dey fine.

dangozphil: no

dangozphil: i've not checked gmail 

dangozphil: it's been quite long

dangozphil: i'll open it now

dangozphil: i've picked masters form

dangozphil: for CLA

urisbest: did you know that we can call pc to pc do you think it will work?

urisbest: Very good. Did you speak to any of the professors there?

dangozphil: yeah

dangozphil: i went went to see the HOD one on one

dangozphil: and he said i'ld be taken

dangozphil: though there's going to be an entrance exam

urisbest: Great! You will excel in CLA.

dangozphil: i pray and hope so

urisbest: are you still with your old boss?

dangozphil: but everybody in classics is telling me to come 

dangozphil: dem no go see me

urisbest: what would you do with that after you graduate? I mean with classics? I think CLA fits you better now since you are already a publisher.

dangozphil: yes oh

dangozphil: that's why i opted for CLA

urisbest: it makes sense. CLA is also more diverse and allows you to broaden your horizon. I would have gone for CLA if I had stayed in Ibadan.

dangozphil: i simply pray that everything works out fine

urisbest: I hope so too. the economy is really affecting everything in the us.

urisbest: many people are losing their jobs. It's really sad.

dangozphil: with that, i know i would do well as a publisher/editor 

dangozphil: pls, call back

dangozphil: sorry, 

dangozphil: i was trying to connect my headset

dangozphil: i'm waiting for ur call

urisbest: ok i will do as you suggested

urisbest: have you heard of skype?

urisbest: I learned that is more reliable for pc to pc talk.

urisbest: have yu heard do of skype?

urisbest: i learned it's more reliable.

urisbest: I love you love.

dangozphil: Nwanne, i love you too

dangozphil: i've really missed you companionship

urisbest: Same here. I can't wait to visit Naija.

urisbest: I feel like a fish out of water.

dangozphil: it's only when you miss someone you'd value him

urisbest: how true, my sister. I am leaving for school now. I have a paper to write.

urisbest: How far with the boys?

urisbest: how far with the boys?

urisbest: dispute resolution

urisbest: I enjoyed a great conversation this morning. I should be on my way now. Love you lots.

urisbest: the call ended on its own but I hope to keep in touch.

dangozphil: ok dear

dangozphil: my driver is already waiting for me too

dangozphil: thanks for calling

urisbest: you look smoking hot!!!!!!!

dangozphil: lollll

dangozphil: :D

dangozphil: thanks love

dangozphil: i know you would look hotter

dangozphil: bye for now

dangozphil: take care


No comments:

Post a Comment